Boundaries, Roles & Expectations: From Blind Spots to Clarity
At the heart of ethics is the importance of not doing harm to clients and maximizing the therapeutic effects of our work. Since our work takes place within a relational context, it is crucial that we work on our own blind spots, and our abilities to manage expectations and roles. This module covers a wide variety of topics to assist you, including:
- The most common ethical dilemmas of energy practitioners
- 9 common blind spots practitioners tend to have and how to navigate them
- 6 steps for thinking through an ethical dilemma
- A simple three step mantra to calm personal reactions to clients
- The importance of creating “sacred space” during therapeutic work, and how this can be challenging.
- The role of the drama triangle in creating boundary problems.
- Ethical dilemmas specific to energy healing
Lead Trainer - David Feinstein
Power Pod - David Feinstein, Cynthia Hutchinson, Phil Mollon
Ethics & Legal Risk Management
When you learn about the legalities of having an energy healing practice, it empowers you to do your work without worry and while being in integrity. The result? You can provide the highest level of service to your clients. Some of the things you will learn include:
- What you can and cannot say on your website to stay ethical and legal, including: a) claims b) testimonials c) practitioner title
- What unlicensed practitioners need to know to protect themselves from being in violation of ethical standards of state boards.
- What you need in your informed consent forms and website disclaimers. (You do have one, right?)
- Learn what violations the special the task force of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is looking for on websites like yours.
- What you need to do to make sure the you are protected under Health Care Freedom laws.
- The types of things that you can and cannot say when describing your services so that you don't violate ethical and legal rules.
Important Note: While the focus of this module is on the legal landscape of the U.S. , the questions raised and areas requiring attention are probably relevant in many other countries as well.
Lead Trainer - Midge Murphy
Power Pod - Midge Murphy, Lisa Mentgen-Gordon
Spiritual Competence Training
You probably know the importance of being trained in cultural competencies so that you are more able to understand a person from within their culture. A person's spirituality and/or religion is a major cultural variable in how they view themselves and the world. But most practitioners receive no training in how to be sensitive to and work with these variables. Topics in this eye opening module include:
- The 16 competencies in spiritual and religious diversity that every professional should have to be basically competent .
- Research shows most people want their spiritual/religious life to be part of their sessions. Learn effective ways to do this.
- Your spiritual/religious biases may be impacting your work with clients
in negative ways. Learn how to uncover them so you can serve with more clarity.
- How to frame an effective question about spiritual beliefs without weaving in
your own biases.
- A spiritual assessment tool you can use with clients immediately.
- How to create space for conversations dealing with potentially abusive forms of
religion and spirituality.
- How to support a client's use of religion and/or spirituality without being an expert in it.
Lead Trainer - Cassandra Vieten
Power Pod - Cassandra Vieten, Ken Cohen, Cynthia Hutchinson
Navigating Blind Spots About Money
Many therapists and healers are conflicted around helping people while making a good living. Does that apply to you at all? This module will provide a wealth of ideas that can change how you think about money in a way that is deeply ethical and supportive of you and your clients.
- Discover the cultural lies we tell ourselves about money that are impacting our ability to have financial sufficiency
- Learn the 3 negative myths about money and how to change them
- Discover the radical, surprising truth about sufficiency
- How do you decide ethically what to charge? Learn key methods you can use immediately.
- Learn how to ethically include conversations in your initial consultations and/or informed consent process that radically increases the perceived value of your services.
- Gain key practices for effectively managing your money
Lead Trainer - Lynne Twist
Power Pod - Lynne Twist, David Gruder, Amelia Vogler
Understanding Race-Based Stress and Trauma: An Ethical Imperative
Ethnic and race-based stress and trauma are undeniable realities for millions of people, yet many clinicians do not understand what they are. Dealing with issues of race, ethnicity and diversity in general are often difficult and challenging. In the 21st century, it is an ethical imperative that therapists, healers and all health professionals have awareness, compassion and skill sets to deal with these issues. This module can be part of your journey of learning and discovery. Topics include:
- Exploring ethical mistakes and missteps about race, ethnicity and trauma
- How to create compassionate space for conversations dealing with race and ethnicity
- Your reactions about race and ethnicity may be impacting your work with clients in negative ways. Learn how to uncover them so you can serve with more clarity.
- The experiences of therapists of color
- Creating larger and more spiritual frames for dealing with issues of “the other”
Lead Trainer – Gail Parker
Power Pod – Shawn Blue, Alfred Heath, Inga Blazio, Phil Mollon
Faculty - Lead Trainers
David Feinstein, PhD
Clarity & Wisdom in Boundaries,
Roles & Expectations
- Co-director of Innersource with Donna Eden
- Leading expert on energy psychology
- Served on faculty of Johns Hopkins University
- Author of 8 books, including Ethics Handbook for Healing Practitioners
Midge Murphy, JD, PhD
Ethics & Risk Management
- First attorney to receive PhD in energy medicine from Holos University
- Leading expert on ethics, legal principles and risk management strategies as applied to energy healing methods
- Author, Practice Energy Healing in Integrity: The Joy of Offering Your Gifts Legally & Ethically
Gail Parker, PhD, C-AIYT
Understanding Race-Based Stress and Trauma
- Psychologist and certified yoga therapist
- Nationally and internationally renowned media personality, educator, author, and thought leader
- President, Black Yoga Teachers Alliance
- Author, Restorative Yoga for Ethnic and Race-Based Stress and Trauma
Navigating Blind Spots About Money
- Recognized global visionary
- Author, The Soul of Money: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Life
- Founder, Soul of Money Institute
- Has worked with over 100,000 people in 50 countries
Cassandra Vieten, PhD
- President, Institute of Noetic Sciences
- Scientist, Mind-Body Medicine Research Group at California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute
- Clinical psychologist
- Author, Spiritual and Religious Competencies in Clinical Practice: Guidelines for Psychotherapists and Mental Health Professionals plus several other books.
Power Pod Faculty
Shawn Blue, PhD, DCEP
- Clinical associate professor, Thomas Jefferson University
- Staff psychologist, Student Counseling Center
- Specializes in trauma, eating disorders and energy psychology
- Co-chair, ACEP's Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
Inga Blazio, MSW
- Licensed social worker, life coach and meditation teacher in Maryland
- Mental health services to adolescents, children, adults, family and couples
- Member, Board of Social Work; active on Ethics Committee
- Co-chair, ACEP's Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
Ken Cohen, MS
- QiGong GrandMaster
- Indigenous medicine practitioner
- Author, The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing
- Over 200 journal articles on spirituality and health
Shoshana Garfield, PhD
- Advanced practitioner and trainer of Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT)
- Certified psychoanalytic energy psychology practitioner
- Vice chair, AAMET International
- Resilience trainer for Achilles Initiative
David Gruder, PhD
- Founder & president, Integrity Culture Systems™
- Co founder and first president of ACEP
- Author, Sensible Self-Help
- Author, The New IQ: How Integrity Intelligence Serves You, Your Relationships & Our World
Alfred Heath, MA, LPC
- Counselor, coach, healer fostering mind-body-spirit-energy wellbeing
- Developer, ZeroPoint Intentional
- Principal educator and trainer, Be Set Free Fast™
- Member, ACEP’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
Lori C. Hops, PhD
- Psychologist and Reiki master
- 20 years in private practice
- Teaches workshops and seminars on topics such as energy practices & spirituality
- Serves on ACEP’s Board of Directors as secretary
Cynthia Hutchison, DNSc
- Director, Healing Touch Program™
- Teaches all levels of the HT curriculum
- Private practice in Healing Touch and transpersonal psychotherapy
- Registered nurse
- CEO/owner, Healing Touch Program, which was founded by her mother.
- Focuses on expanding, enhancing, and spreading this program globally
- Founder, Energy Medicine Professional Association
Phil Mollon, PhD, DCEP
- Author of ten books, including Psychoanalytic Energy Psychotherapy
- Works in psychiatric settings within the British National Health Service
- Maintains private practice
- ACEP president, chairs Ethics Committee
Robert Schwarz, PsyD
- Executive director, ACEP
- Clarity & Wisdom course director and Power Pod moderator
- Licensed psychologist
- Author, Tools for Transforming Trauma and We're No Fun Anymore
Amelia Vogler, MS
- Executive director, Healing Touch Professional Association
- Supports the Healing Touch community worldwide through educational programs and professional development resources
- Private practice providing energy-based therapies and mentoring for holistic practitioners
Julie Brown Yao, PhD
- Director, education and program development, Compassionate Care ALS
- PhD in somatic depth psychology
- Private practice focused on reducing stress, resolving trauma and cultivating compassion
- Yoga and meditation teacher
You'll get these powerful learning tools